Thursday, September 28, 2006

"On Preaching" from the Confessions (#15)

In our churches, on the other hand, all sermons deal with topics like these: penitence, the fear of God, faith in Christ, the righteousness of faith, comfort for the conscience through faith, the exercise of faith, prayer and our assurance that it is efficacious and is heard, the cross, respect for rulers and for all civil ordinances, the distinction between the kingdom of Christ (or the spiritual kingdom) and political affairs, marriage, the education and instruction of children, chastity, and all the works of love. From this description of the state of our churches it is evident that we diligently maintain church discipline, pious ceremonies, and the good customs of the church. (Tappert, The Book of Concord. Fortress Press: Philadelphia, 1959, p.221; Apology XV: 43-44)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor, I like your blog site and your quotes from the Confessions. I notice you are quoting from Tappert. Is there any particular reason you don't use the "Concordia: Reader's Edition" for your quotes from the Confessions?

Bill Schmidt

reader said...

Thanks, Bill. The only reason that I haven't been using the CRE for my quotations is that I have the Tappert electronically in my Libronix Digital Library, which makes it a little quicker to search and pull out quotations.

I would use the CRE if there was an electronic edition available, but I don't see one offered at CPH. (I believe that the English from the Triglotta, on which CRE is based, is available online at bookofconcord.org.